PROCEDURE FOR REQUESTING COPIES/INSPECTION OF PUBLIC RECORDS
1. Request for copies or inspection of public records of the Lime Rock Fire District must be submitted, in writing to the Keep of the Records.
2. Said request must name specific records desired.
3. A reply from the Keeper of the Records or Board of Fire Commissioners will be received as designated by R. I. General Laws. At that time an appointment to inspect and/or collect copies will be arranged. An estimate for the cost of copies will be given.
4. Cost: See Rhode Island State Law 38-2-4. TITLE 38 Public Records CHAPTER 38-2 Access to Public Records.
(a) Subject to the provisions of § 38-2-3, a public body must allow copies to be made or provide copies of public records. The cost per copied page of written documents provided to the public shall not exceed fifteen cents ($.15) per page for documents copy able on common business or legal-size paper. A public body may not charge more than the reasonable actual cost for providing electronic records or retrieving records from storage where the public body is assessed a retrieval fee.
(b) A reasonable charge may be made for the search or retrieval of documents. Hourly costs for a search and retrieval shall not exceed fifteen dollars ($15.00) per hour and no costs shall be charged for the first hour of a search or retrieval. For the purposes of this subsection, multiple requests from any person or entity to the same public body within a thirty (30) day time period shall be considered one request.
(c) Copies of documents shall be provided and the search and retrieval of documents accomplished within a reasonable time after a request. A public body upon request, shall provide an estimate of the costs of a request for documents prior to providing copies.
(d) Upon request, the public body shall provide a detailed itemization of the costs charged for search and retrieval.
(e) A court may reduce or waive the fees for costs charged for search or retrieval if it determines that the information requested is in the public interest because it is likely to contribute significantly to public understanding of the operations or activities of the government and is not primarily in the commercial interest of the requester.
5. Records for inspection and/or copies will be available at the appointed time and date only.
6. Records must be inspected in the presence of a member of the Board of Fire Commissioner or an individual delegated by the Board of Fire Commissioners.
7. Original records SHALL NOT BE REMOVED FROM THE PREMISES
8. The copies of the requested records may be collected only by the person(s) to whom the request was approved and in the presence of a member of the Board of Fire Commissioners or an individual delegated by the Board.
9. A log must be signed at the time of entry and departure by the person(s) inspecting the records. Also, a log must be signed at the time of collection of copies
10. The person(s) inspection of the records and/or collecting records shall not willfully disrupt the business operations of the District or any employee.